Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

stellarium looking for alternative

is it just a simple copy and paste or does it need inserting in certain parts of the notepad file

Not that i know what comet ison and planstarrs is still wet behind the ears :angry9: (and cant see that changing for a while) the more i look in to astronomy the more my head hurts. But ive edited ini files a lot for games :laugh:

Can someone answer what the blue streak through the screen is (every now and then it appears) i was thinking the iss as ive not seen it pass my area yet.

Think blue is Hubble ...ISS has white streak on my system

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone answer what the blue streak through the screen is on stellarium (every now and then it appears) i was thinking the iss as ive not seen it pass my area yet.

Go Into Your Setup and it lists in the plug-ins for satellites

The Plugin for Solar System objects will download the whole list of comet and asteroid data direct into Stellarium. The latest MPC (Minor Planet Centre) Two Line Element file contains Ison and PanStarrs data.

It may be easier to find the option in that plug-in for finding single objects. It then gets the orbital elements for just that object and installs them.

I did that for that there whizz-by asteroid , 1200 DA14, and it was quite straight forward. The thing is though it doesn't produce the correct track across the sky!!

So I installed it in SkySafari on my Android Tablet and it don't give sensible results there either!!

I've been using Stellarium for ages and I'm still learning myself :)

I've used many desktop planetarium packages over the years. Most of which don't seem to be very popular these days. I guess there is limited room for commercial packages to compete against the likes of Stellarium.

A long time ago there was "The Digital Universe" for Amiga computers. At the time it was a revelation. By far the most advanced and beautiful planetarium software available to the home user. The producers "Syzygy" began porting it to Mac and PC. Sadly both of those platforms's rate of change made it difficult to keep up so they abandoned further development outside of the Amiga family :(

Archived