SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

hyperion aspheric / panaview f/6.

rory

I like my Hyperion Aspheric 31mm. At the price, it's as good as many of the ilk I've tried? Whereas similar eyepieces loose edge performance monotonically, the Asp (maybe) "recovers" this? That said, I mostly pair it with my MAK 150 (F-12!) in 2-inch mode - 60x, just over a degree of field. MAKs are not usually used for DSO viewing, but I find the combination works rather well! :)

Hyperions, generally, were once "Miss Eyepiece" (Even on CN? LOL) - These days, they have more competition! FASTER scopes? I do USE the Hype 31 in my Strartravel F5 achromat, but I sense the eyepiece is not the *main* limitation. <G> Maybe, one day, a "Pan 35", but... :p

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just been looking at the 31mm Aspheric on AB&S up at £100. It would look good in my eyepiece case along with my normal Hyperions, and to make my eyepiece collection complete I would like a 31mm and a 5mm, to cover all the bases :)

The weird thing is it feels 'wrong' to me to build a mixed collection...am I the only one who likes to build sets of things?

Curse my OCD!

:)

...am I the only one who likes to build sets of things?
Nah, this is quite normal <twitch> <twitch> :p

I am fairly content with my (now pruned) Hyperion set: 31 (asp), 17, 10mm. I have another *set* of TS/HR "planetaries" : 8, 6, 4, 2.5mm. If I win the lottery, I can upgrade the *Hyperions* to Deloses (Delii?). Not sure about the planetaries. Sadly, the halcyon days of cheap astro gear are over? But If you can get a Hyperion at close to the original price? They do retain their second hand value... ;)

:)

Four of my Hyperions were 'pre-loved' and cost £65 - £70. The 24mm was bought new due to a mis-communication with Mrs Twotter, but it was a lovely Christmas present! We usually observe together so the Hyperions (and fine tuning rings) give us the options to view targets together at the same time. If we're observing the Moon then we can have the 17mm with 14mm FTR in the 200P dob to give a 13.1mm EP, whilst I use the 13mm in the TAL.

With a 31mm Aspheric I'd be interested in seeing how it performs in 1.25" mode in the TAL compared to 2" mode in the 200P dob :)

Feels like I need to do some more overtime!

Archived