Skywatcher 200p v's 130

Hi all.

On Friday I took picked up new (new to me that is) Skywatcher 200p/EQ5 (1000mm fl, f/5) and as i've no chance of seeing anything but snow at the moment I thought I'd ask what the difference observing with this will be against my old Skywatcher 130m (900mm fl, f7) now I know that jupiter wont suddenly become the size of a tennis ball as opposed to a pea (or even slightly bigger for that matter) but what will the difference be for observing planets & DSO's etc, will there be a great difference or not much. I suppose i'm a little bored at the moment & keep gazing across the living room at the scope wondering about its capabilities.........Very frustrating :grin:

I found that I could get slightly bigger and clearer views/images of the planets, with greater detail. The same for DSO's. In my gallery my first jupiter was with a Clelestron 130 astromaster, the other Jupiter's with my 200p.

I would never have been able to image a DSO with a DSLR on my 130 and definitely couldn't have guided.

I found that I could get slightly bigger and clearer views/images of the planets, with greater detail. The same for DSO's. In my gallery my first jupiter was with a Clelestron 130 astromaster, the other Jupiter's with my 200p.

I would never have been able to image a DSO with a DSLR on my 130 and definitely couldn't have guided.

Thanks Perry, i'm modding my dual control for an st4 port & guiding using webcam in the finder, its good to see that others are guiding using the same scope so at least I know its possible.

Steve

I feel your pain . I have had a telescope for a week now and really want a clear sky to enjoy it. I've been out twice now, and can only see the moon.

Before that gets too exciting the clouds block my view again. So frustrating.

You're not alone.

good luck with it.

I feel your pain . I have had a telescope for a week now and really want a clear sky to enjoy it. I've been out twice now, and can only see the moon.

Before that gets too exciting the clouds block my view again. So frustrating.

You're not alone.

good luck with it.

haha, cheers mate, Good luck to u too. :grin:

Steve

Relax....the 200 will be betterr by far at a lot of things. Dont forget the magnification wont be much higher so for planetary maybe only slightly better but for deep sky where light grasp is all important the 200 will be everything you hope.

m57 easily discrenible as a ring and under a dark sky you may even detect faint color, orion nebula will be awesome. Get an EP with good contrast and marvel at the edges of the nebula, check out the pleides, with a good widefield EP a face full of stars and maybe even a timge of blue amongst the gas clouds when under a good sky. Dont forget the hercules cluster with a 10 to 15 mm EP...it will show a lot of stars and finally the double cluster in Casseopiea through a widefield for another view of a huge star field.

You'll like it.................a lot :)

Relax....the 200 will be betterr by far at a lot of things. Dont forget the magnification wont be much higher so for planetary maybe only slightly better but for deep sky where light grasp is all important the 200 will be everything you hope.

m57 easily discrenible as a ring and under a dark sky you may even detect faint color, orion nebula will be awesome. Get an EP with good contrast and marvel at the edges of the nebula, check out the pleides, with a good widefield EP a face full of stars and maybe even a timge of blue amongst the gas clouds when under a good sky. Dont forget the hercules cluster with a 10 to 15 mm EP...it will show a lot of stars and finally the double cluster in Casseopiea through a widefield for another view of a huge star field.

You'll like it.................a lot :)

Thanks, I read your review of this scope which helped push me to make my mind up about getting it :grin: . I knew that for planetary there wouldnt be a great deal of difference but it was dso's I was interested in. Cant wait for the grey skies to finally clear.

Steve

Archived