NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The beast has arrived! Skyliner 200p dob, need help setting up please

Hello after choosing my first telescope i went ahead and ordered from firstlightoptics , it arrived it 2 days thats excellent service for you :)

I built the stand , set up the scope

I also bought a cheshire but it came with no instructions.

I had a look out my window i am having the following problems

The finderscope image is perfectly upside down which is what i expected,

However

i look through the viewer and the image is way off from the finder image, and the image is not perfectly upside down rather facing south west and upside down. how do i fix this please?

i have the £26 cheshire but i have no idea how to use it and safely ajust the mirrors

I am really sorry if this has been asked before i am a complete noob and this is my very first telescope.

, i really would appriciate some help getting this fixed , so when the weather clears one day i will be 100% ready to go :)

, i also noticed there is 1 barlow ? bit which i cant seem to find a place to attach it ? whats it for ?

thank you

Hi mate if I was u I would just google all the above , ie " how to set up a finder scope " . The first thing I do before asking any questions is go on YouTube . I too have the 200 dob and I learnt a lot on YouTube about collimating telrads etc . Your Barlow goes on to your focuser then you insert an eye piece into your Barlow . Hope this helps and good luck with your dob I'm sure u will enjoy all those starlit nights , kev

Hi! I just got the same scope as you :)

To allign the finder scope, in daylight center something far away in the eyepiece, like the top of an antenna, street light or similar. Start with the eyepiece that gives you the lowest magnification. Then you twist the two thumb screws on the finder scope to center that object in the finder. After that, switch to higher magnification, and repeat the adjustment on the finder.

What you are seeing through the eyepiece, that the image is upside down and a bit tilted is just how it is :)

That barlow will increase the magnification of your eyepiece. Insert the barlow in the focuser, and then attach the eyepiece to the barlow.

For collimation, I've not tried it yet, but here's what seems like a great guide for collimating with a chesire:

http://www.astro-bab...ation guide.htm

Hi there...

Finderscope - Adjusting the thumbscrews top and side will enable you to change the position of your finderscope. Personally I didn't align mine during the day as I had no suitable objects. I waited until I took out and used the moon to get an initial alignment (using the 25mm supplied EP) and then finally got it dead accurate by using a bright star. Whole process took 5 mins. You'll knock the finderscope about through moving it etc so you'll periodically have to redjust this while out at night anyway. You can't miss the moon!

Collimation - It's a scary word at first but eventually you'll think of it as tying your laces, something that takes 2 mins and you do before you go out. As others have said, try and follow astrobabies guide or some youtube vids, pictures speak a thousand words etc.

All the best

As others have said, first align your finder scope, preferably in daylight. Astro-babys collimation guide is really good but I found this

really easy to understand, it gives instructions for the standard & laser collimator.

Craig.

Hi thanks for the help, i have followed sountless videos and have been very careful and i cannot get this set up properly, The scope came to me none callimated, it hought they were all meant to come callimated as factory standard ?

the task i am left with is much more than a few simple tweaks,

i have taken pictured if they help ?

scop4.jpg

scep3.jpg

scop2.jpg

ah well at least the weather is awful right now and will be fora week or so,

Hi again, the main problem im gettting it ajusting the thick black outer circle in just outside the tiny mirror reflection, How does one ajust this ?

can anyone give me a rough idea of what i have done wrong or if anything seems ok ?

and most importantly what to do

kind regards

I got my scope a couple weeks ago (Second hand Explorer 150P) which I collected from Nottingham and drove it back to Manchester. After the car journey my mirrors were out by quite a bit and I was in the same situation as you as I wasn't sure how to use my Cheshire Collimator. I used the above video from youtube and had my scope collimated within about ten minutes. Here's the link again:

If you still have no luck, maybe you could ask someone to show you how to collimate at your local astronomy society. This link may be useful to you: http://www.cornwallas.org.uk/

Good luck,

Craig.

Archived