NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Storing scopes

GrahamJ

I would like some advice on the best place to keep a refractor. I have kept a reflector in a garden shed for years in all temperatures, l have now got a refractor ( Tal 100rs )so far with the weather being so bad I've not had it out of the house . I used it once and naturaly it condensed badly when I brought it back inside. Would it be better to keep it in the shed, regardless of the temperature.

I have an 8" Newt and a 11" SCT and keep both in my shed (sorry summerhouse if the wife is asking). I bought pine blanket boxes and used the packing plus some bubble wrap to keep them in. I had to get boxes made to a custom size as the standard sizes were either too small or too big. The company making them made a custom size for an extra £15, that on a solid pine box costing around £130 with the delivery.

My summerhouse stays reasonably dry, condensation appears on the windows but the blanket boxes and scopes stay very dry and of course dust free. Apart from a nice piece of furniture they look good and are very stong if anything drops on them.

There are some pictures on this thread when I only had one box.

Archived