NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Balancing Scope with Telrad Finder

Hi All,

My parents picked up a Telrad Finder for me as part of Christmas. My first chance to use it should be tomorrow night! My only concern is balancing the telescope properly while the, very long, Telrad Finder mount in on the scope. Has anyone had any issues with this?

My fear is that with my mirror, eyepiece and finder, I will need to slide the scope fairly high through the tube rings and I'm worried I wont have enough room with the Telrad mount being stuck there. I'm using the Sky-Watcher EVOSTAR 90. Does anyone have any info that could help with this?

I mounted mine, using cable ties, to the right of the finder on my 200p..... if you were looking up the scope, the Telrad would sort of be in the '2 o'clock' position, if you see what I mean..... draw tube, finder then Telrad. I don't think you need to mount it on top of the scope. You will need a dew shield for that Telrad. I made one out of a thin foam mouse pad and some sticky-backed velcro. Good luck

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean by "slide the scope fairly high through the tube rings", but the best advice I can give you is not to stick it down with the supplied foam pads until you've tried it out for a while.

The telrad is fairly light, a couple of strips of electrical tape the length of the base were enough to hold mine on and you can move it pretty easily if you need to until you find the best place for it through trial and error.

If you dont have enough space between the tube rings and the focuser end you could try the telrad in front of the tube rings, you can look at them from quite a distance back and they work just fine I think.

Find out where it best suits you before committing yourself with the supplied sticky pads :)

Tyr

Archived