Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dew prevention and fans

I would love to get my observing Mojo back and get out side for this winter. Lately its been about 25-30* F degrees at night (-4-0 Celsius) and if I leave my scope out in that night then bring it in, the warmer air touches the mirror and creates a thin layer of dew. It's never gotten too thick before so bigger water droplets haven't formed. I left it out once and got dew on it. But that was a particularly dewy night.

I used to have a fan on the back of my scope to help it cool down quicker but I took it off for reasons to do with the screws holding it on. Recently, I thought of putting the fan back on and turning it on for the entire session to keep air flowing. It sounds completely logical to me I but haven't gotten the time to put the fan back on. Has anyone tried this before and does it work? Or would I be better off limiting my session and packing up early? Any advice is welcome.

Cheers,

Josh

Archived