NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian vs EQ5 and other questions from a total beginner.

Hi All,

I'm totally new to astronomy but have been wanting to get into it for some time. Like all newbies I have already for bogged down in what telescope to buy; what mount etc.

So, I think I have decided on the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian or EQ5.

I am already a keen photographer but understand that translating that to astrophotography is costly as well as maybe running before I can walk?

So, if I were to learn to walk with the Dobsonian, would I still be able to do basic astrophotography (the moon for example)? Or do I ignore that all-together until I upgrade to an equatorial mount, goto motor etc?

Also, if I were to go for the cheaper Dobsonian, what other basic equipment would you recommened I get ( eye-peices, filters etc).

I guess this is a very broad topic, but I need some help getting things a bit clearer in my head :-)

Many thanks

Farren

It is possible to get an image of the moon with an undriven dobsonian, but I don't remember seeing any decent planetary or deep sky images from one. A Skyliner 200P Dob is an outstanding visual instrument though. Very good views of both solar system and deep sky objects. As to recommended accessories, the only things that I would consider essential from the start would be a collimation tool (Cheshire) and a Telrad or Rigel QuikFinder illuminated finder. Eyepieces / filters etc. depend on the targets you want to look at, so you need to spend some time observing before you will know which ones to choose.

Bear in mind that if you do get into it, you'll probably end up spending as much if not more on bits and pieces than you spend on the scope.

Spend as much as you can and then a bit more as well.........

Half-decent Astro gear retains its value quite well, so it's no great risk spending as you will likely get it back if you need to sell, especially if you buy used to begin with.

Thanks Red Dwarf and Space Dragon,

So although it's a tough question to answer, would the Skyliner 200P Dobsonian be an good starter scope?

I have just been reading through the second thread on here and the SKYMAX-127 is also getting some good feedback.

I guess I just want to get something fairly versatile and will have to make a decsion. just want to make sure it's as informed as possible (without over-complicatio things :-)

For me, the Skyliner 200P Dobsonian is a better starter telescope than the Skymax 127.

The focal lengths are 1200 vs 1500mm, so no great difference there.

The f/ratios are f/6 vs. f/12ish so neither is any great challenge to eyepieces, so cheaper ones will work okay with either scope.

Neither of them are any good for deep sky astrophotography.

The kicker for me is that 8" is better than 5". Sometimes size does matter and for visual observing this is definitely the case. You will get brighter images with better resolution from the Skyliner 200P than the Skymax 127 even on planets. (I have had both of these at one time or another).

But...this is only my opinion :)

If you buy a 2nd had 200 Dob you'll pretty much get all your money back on it if you sell it on within a few years. They are very popular, and retain their value very well.

Even if you spend £300 on a new one, it'll still be worth £200+ (maybe even £230+) in a few years (if you've treated it well) ... so I wouldn't get too worried about spending cash on a visual (only) scope for now.

I don't really have anything helpful to add other than being a complete newcomer myself, your question is the same one that's bouncing about in my head. I've sort of decided that the Dob is the one to go for as for the price, and the fact you can strap it to an EQ mount in the future should you wish to, it seems pretty much perfect!

Hope you have lots of fun with whichever you decide to go for

:smiley:

Archived