NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Suggestions for first target with Atik 314L+ and 81mm f5.9

mytola

Hi there!

I've just been very lucky and aquired an Atik 314L+ with LRGB filters and wheel, and tomorrow the forecast seems like I'll be able to test it out for the first time. Any suggestions as to what object to try first? Most likely I'll be able to image from 9pm until midnight or something like that (not including set up and calibratin etc.). I need something not too hard as a start. I've only had a go at m31 and m42 with my dslr before, but m42 is quite low here, and it would be nice with something that fit on the chip. How difficult are some of the nebulae in Cassiopeia and Cepheus (like Pacman or Bubble)? Or maybe I should try some galaxies i.e. m81/82?

Any suggestions are welcome!

Cheers,

Andreas

Avoid M42 for your first target, its more complex than it first appears.

The pacman fits well, but it would be better if you had a Ha filter. The horsehead fits well too, with the only complication being a very bright star. Depending on your FL, M81 anf M82 will both fit on to the chip (thats imaging @ 510mm). If you want an really easy ride, pick a globular cluster - just to get yhou familiar with the operation of the camera.

Avoid M42 for your first target, its more complex than it first appears.

The pacman fits well, but it would be better if you had a Ha filter. The horsehead fits well too, with the only complication being a very bright star. Depending on your FL, M81 anf M82 will both fit on to the chip (thats imaging @ 510mm). If you want an really easy ride, pick a globular cluster - just to get yhou familiar with the operation of the camera.

Thanks for the answer! The focal length is ~480 mm, so those should fit. Maybe I'll give the horsehead a go but it's location is not optimal. Unfortunately not many globulars up at the moment. Maybe the double cluster is an alternative :)

The HH will make a good target, its bright(ish), but not so bright as to burn out quickly (you can burn M42 in under 2min). The central part of the heart nebua (IC1805) also fits beautifully on the 314 chip.

Its a great camera you have there, no doubt about it!

Archived