Remote controlling telescope in garden from inside house

I am a beginner in astronomy but especially interested in photo astronomy. Some of the things that has always put me off is how cold it gets working with the telescope outside. So this is my idea and was hoping to hear other people's views on my idea. I am on a budget and I am aware I do not have the best of gear as yet.

equipment I own;

skymaster 127 goto scope (not eq type unfortunately)

various lenses and Barlow lenses (sorted)

Canon D1000 DLSR

T ring to connect camera

PC

Webcam

20 metres ethernet cable

20 metres usb cable * 2

Webcam

I am wanting to extend the goto scope by replacing the hand controller cable with 20 metre cable this way I can have controller beside me inside at computer. Is this ethernet cable or telephone cable? Does anyone see any problems extending length to 20 metres?

I plan to first simply use dlsr attached to mount which it does attach and have this connected via USB cable to computer. I can then use the camera software to control camera from computer. Use the telescope controller to move image.

First problem > using live view I cannot see anything it is too dark. Only when I take slightly longer exposures do I see anything. So I need a way of knowing where I am looking at in the sky. I have a webcam which is better at seeing in dark so I plan to attach this to dslr camera. Awaiting 2nd USB cable to arrive to try this.

Second Problem >. Is it possible to automatically zoom via software on computer? There is a zoom option but it appears to be a digital zoom not optical as I cannot see my camera lense turning?

So basically my plan is to control everything from the warmth of my house and view images on PC. Anyone out there done this or doing this? Solutions? Any further problems I may encounter?

Once I make use of camera I plan to attach camera to telescope but this seems more difficult, attempting this so far I have not even managed to get a picture. Focusing telescope is potential problem here. Also the T ring attaches the camera to telescope without any lenses! Really iwould have liked to connect camera to the lense itself! Is this possible? I could go down the webcam route for this area but seems a waste of a DLSR! However, one step at a time I have various lenses on my DLSR to get pictures from first.

Any advice would be appreciated

Hi Paul, hundreds of people doing this. First thing I would suggest is downloading a programme called 'Astro photography tool'. (APT) It is free and excellent for Canon cameras. It gives you full control over the camera via usb. It will help you see and focus, and it can zoom in liveview to help with this. It may even control the mount for you with an additional cable, but I haven't done this yet so cannot offer advice on that aspect.

Once you have aligned the scope and chosen a target, you can use APT to programme the camera to take any amount of exposures at whatever settings you choose, all from the comfort of your warm room.

The one suggestion i'd make is that you read Steve Richards 'making every photon count', i'm only starting out in AP but i think you'll run into a few problems.Someone will be along soon i'm sure to give you more info.

Steve

Archived