NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

West Texas stargazing

So i hear that the stargazing in west Texas is great and that there are a nice number of parks there to go for it. Anyone have any experiences with these parks and tell me which ones have a better location? Thanks ^^

This is what I use to find dark skies in the US: http://www.jshine.net/astronomy/dark_sky/

Do you have any particular reason to go to west Texas? I ask because there are other locations you could you go that are equally dark. You have other options. Bryce Canyon (where to can rent 8" Dobs) and Chaco (where there's an astronomy program) are two that spring to mind. Even the Grand Canyon is pretty dark and if you head west from the south rim GC village it gets very dark. North rim is darker. There's a public star party at the GC once a year. There's even Chiefland, the astronomy village in Florida. The skies aren't as dark, but they are very still and there'd be lots of huge scope for you to look through.

well i wanted to take my girlfriend because she has never seen the actual stars (been in the city all her life) we live in central texas and are college students so we cant really travel that far since i don't have all that much money

Archived