Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

source of dovetail to fit Televue Clamshell

Bender

I am looking for a Vixen dovetail to fit my 4" TV clamshell. I think it has 3 1/4" holes 3/4" apart.(it's currently mounted on a photo dovetail with a 1/4" slit but I prefer dedicated holes)

A dovetail with 2 1/4" holes 1.5" would do as we'll. the TV dovetail avt 1011 works only with clamps that have a set screw.

Farpoint offers a Losmandy dovetail for tv clamshells but then I would need a Losmandy saddle as well.

Hi Bender,

What is your tripod/mount?

I was going to suggest the TeleVue AVT1011 as it is made for the Vixen Porta Mount and TeleVue OTA's. I use one on my TeleVue Ranger on a Teleoptic Giro Mkll and saddle plate(s) without any problem(s); but if on a photographic tripod/mount then I think I see your problem.

You say, and I quote, "...(it's currently mounted on a photo dovetail with a 1/4" slit but I prefer dedicated holes)...". How about adding another 1/4inch Whitworth bolt if you continue to use your existing photo dovetail. You may have to ream or drill one end of the 1/4inch slot slightly wider to accommodate the thread, (or get a local engineering company to do it for you if you do not feel confident). They are still available in various lengths. You can pick them up for a few pennies from a local hardware store/ironmonger or ebay.

Alternatively, you could contact Brian at Astroparts. He does range of dovetail plates made to order.

Archived