possibility of window scope

arran

Hi all,

I am just wondering about the possibility of turning my loft window into a scope style window.

basically i have a loft window double glazed and i was wondering if it would be possible to turn the window into a telescope so i can stay on my bed at night and look through the skynight at stars planets.

Is it even possible as i do not know if it is i was thinking maybe its possible to change the outer glass and using a wide lense on suction to view the sky from inside, would be hugely ideal for anyone with a loft window.

or could you change both pieces so that one is apperture and one is giant lense but not sure if this would work.

If anyone has already made a scope window i would be greatly indebted for any info in how to do this or where to go to get this done.

After all the things we humans have done we can say nothing is impossible its just down to time and money.

Also i was wondering what happens if you look through a telescope with a magnifying glass can you see further or just get blinded?

regards arran

Any sort of scope out or through a window is not going to give very good views i don't think. The building is warm and the outside cold.

You will have load of air currents disturbing the air outside., This will give distortion to what you see. The atmosphere

distorts the views enough without adding to that be heat thermals etc.

Maybe someone else will have a different opinion, but mine would be that i think you would be disappointed. Sorry :huh:

velvet

Hi

This is a neat idea, but I think there are a number of things that will be hard to overcome.

*Lenses of any significant quality are expensive. Really much so when theyre bigger than a few inches.

*Differenes in temperature will cause air turbulence.

*You're not going to see very much at all with a fixed scope.

So your best bet would either be to stand outside with a real scope or have a remote control one and take images with it to display inside, like many astrophotographers do.

A magnifying glass could potentiall increase magnification. This is basicly what a barlow lens does. However, you need to hold it so precise and so still it's impossible to use. Better buy a stronger EP or a Barlow.

Also i was wondering what happens if you look through a telescope with a magnifying glass can you see further or just get blinded?

I agree with the previous comment that observing from inside a warm house is not good. Though if you leave a window open to observe then your house may not stay very warm.

A magnifying glass is a convex lens, typically with a focal length of 10 to 20 cm. A telescope eyepiece is a small magnifying glass, typically with a focal length of less than about 3cm. If you're curious to know what it looks like when used with a telescope then try it, just don't look at the sun. If you look at anything else in the sky you will not do any damage to your eye. But if you want to boost the magnification of an eyepiece then use a barlow lens.

And how would you change your view angle? Will the house be able to rotate around and up and down? And another thing, how will you be able to stay awake to observe while laying on a bed? :grin: :grin: :grin:

Archived