Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is a focal reducer needed with a Celestron 6SE?

EnigmaXXIII

Hi all,

I'm trying to decide on what telescope to get, but am in need of advice regarding focal reducers. Not quite sure how they work. I'm interested in the Celestron NextStar 6SE...

Do I need to get one if I am using this setup:

Camera > T-Thread > T2 Adapter,

or

Camera > Eye-Piece Projector + X-Eye Piece.

I have a Canon 600D which I intend to attach to the scope using either of the above.

Thanks in advance,

John.

If this is for DS imaging I'd go back to the drawing board in terms of scope choice. F10 is not a DS imaging focal ratio for anything but special occasions. It's far, far too slow even for me and I don't have UK weather to put up with. The SCT would need the reducer to get to a reasonable F ratio and the flattener to curb vignetting and coma, though you'll still get quite a lot. (This is why Meade and Celestron designed their ACF and Edge series of SCTs.)

If this is your first foray into DS imaging then there are choices which would make your setup far more productive and enjoyable to use. I'd advise a short focal length and a fastish F ratio and - to be honest - a refractor if you want to get things done.

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=1793797527&k=WMbNhhG

If this is for DS imaging I'd go back to the drawing board in terms of scope choice. F10 is not a DS imaging focal ratio for anything but special occasions. It's far, far too slow even for me and I don't have UK weather to put up with. The SCT would need the reducer to get to a reasonable F ratio and the flattener to curb vignetting and coma, though you'll still get quite a lot. (This is why Meade and Celestron designed their ACF and Edge series of SCTs.)

If this is your first foray into DS imaging then there are choices which would make your setup far more productive and enjoyable to use. I'd advise a short focal length and a fastish F ratio and - to be honest - a refractor if you want to get things done.

Olly

http://ollypenrice.s...97527&k=WMbNhhG

Hi Olly,

Thanks for the reply! I'm looking to buy a new scope and have had a long discussion on this post:

If you can suggest another telescope that's fairly portable like the C6SE I'd greatly appreciate it! I'm not looking to get into major Astrophotography at the moment, and understand the obvious restrictions of AZ AP, but what I'm not quite informed about is how well different types of scope perform with AP...

Thanks again!

Archived