NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Use webcam for guiding how do i set it up?

How do i set it up if i have i finder scope like 50 or 80mm dunno what i will buy, and i want to use either my philips or hp webcam to guide?

I have synscan with guide port in, but what adapter do i use to connect it, or do i have to go through my pc( i think i must do that) but do i connect my pc to guide port or do i just use like php guide prog on my pc and not connect it to the mount ? Confused here :-) i was thinking to buy Startravel-80T : http://www.firstlightoptics.com/startravel/skywatcher-startravel-80-ota.html to put on my explorer 150p tub. Will that be ok setup to guide with ?

You can attach a webcam to either a finderscope or like an eyepiece to the OTA, to use either you need different adapters attached to the webcam.

For a 9x50 finderscope you need an adapter, this will cost you about £30 from Modern Astronomy.

For use like an eyepiece you will need a 1.25 adapter which will cost you a lot less.

In each case you will need to unscrew the eyepiece off the cam and replace it with either of the adapters by screwing it in place. With a webcam you can only use the PC via the USB port.

That is the jist of the setup, there is a bit more but that depends which route you wish to go.

Jim

Oh, and hello :)

Archived