Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mesmerizing Jupiter with Ganymede Transit - 28 November 2012

DarkerSky

A breathtaking Jupiter last night with some of the steadiest seeing I've had in ages. Managed to view it just before midnight. The whole widefield scene was superb too. Just looked like Jupiter was jumping over the Full Moon. Amazing!

Here's the sketch:

Jupiter-28Nov12.png

8.5" Reflector x220 magnification

Neodymium filter

Seeing: AII - AI

23.30 UT to 00.05UT

System I: 231 degrees

System II: 229 degrees

The black dot at top is Ganymede's shadow. Just coming onto the disc at top right was the Ganymede moon itself, shining brightly and obviously as it began its transit. The GRS was just beginning to exit off left. Big changes here in the last few week!! The GRS actually has some colour. Best coloration I've seen in the GRS since autumn 2010. The spread of intensity on the GRS seemed to be uneven with a more intense shading to the south (top) with it graduating to less intensity to the north. The South equatorial belt in which it sits was a mesmerizing display of intricate detail including clumps of dark material and white spots / ovals. Generally the the band is very disturbed right now. Again, a big change form just a few weeks ago! The northern component of the band is much darker than the southern area.

By comparison the North equatorial belt is much more subdued. A couple of festoons were seen rising into the EZ, the most prominent of which was on the right hand side (following) edge of disc where the festoon seemed to emanate from a raised platform of material. To the left on the cusp on the EZ was a small bay of lighter material, while in the band itself around that area were some darker barges on the northern edge.

All in all, absolutely stunning!

Archived