AZ / Elevation readings

I have a dobsonian mount and would like a few tools to help me acquire specific stars, clusters etc. from various sources, I can get the Az and Elev values for objects. Can these be utilised with such simple things as a compass and a protractor attached to the telescope? Or am I missing something serious important.

Or am I missing something serious important.

Suppose the main thing missed is that they move, they start low in the East, rise upwards to be at their highest in the South then set low again in the West.

So a value for Alt/Az is time dependant, and that time includes the date

Suppose the main thing missed is that they move, they start low in the East, rise upwards to be at their highest in the South then set low again in the West.

So a value for Alt/Az is time dependant, and that time includes the date

True, but I'd be using online sources which give real time data.

You can download and print off setting circles for Dob bases which will give you the AZ readings of objects. For Elevation angles, you can buy a digital angle reader. Its called a wixey. Both when used together will allow you to find targets according to charts etc.

Thanks! More presents for Xmas

Archived