Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another angle

UFO

I'm struggling with my 8SE after neck surgery and don't find it 'portable' anymore at all, the scope is a handful with all the other bits when you live 4 floors up in a flat with no lift. Hope to get well soon or win the lotto !

On the times I have used it though astrophotography seems to be what I'm drawn to and the Celestron on it's shaky single mount just dosen't hack with also the weight problem.

Been looking at the ED80 pro's about and they seem rated. Would I gain anything over different brands of this scope as in quality / price ? I expect I'd need an EQ mount at least. Would a EQ1 cut it ? I wouldn't want a GOTO due to additional weight and cost but I'd sure like a motor on it for panning to use when a cam is in the EP leading back through the window of my car to the laptop. An EQ2 ? but it's alot heavier ?

Was looking at the ST80 for some time but astrophotography-wise people seem to see it as a guide scope whereas the ED80 seems to tick the bozes for everyone and I suspect always be wondering how much better the ED80 would be if I got an ST80. The 80mm size though is what I'm after that's something I know ! Seems the ED80 uses 2" EP's. I have a few 1.25's they fit in ok don't sacrifice too much ? Natrually budget is a factor in all this. Found out long ago this isn't a cheap hobby !

A grab and go setup is what I do need.

Finding it tough to find any reliable second hand ones at a good price and laying out £499 new for the kit without a mount is kinda steep atm so advice warmly welcomed.

Have looked all over youtube and struggled to get any real physical scale of the ED80's or the real weight and size of the EQ1-2 mounts.

If AP is the way then you need an EQ5 at the very least, even that may be too light.

Forget EQ1, 2 or 3.

I believe I read that Brandt has a set up of a WO 72 on an EQ5 and gets good results.

The WO 72 is not available any more but they have a 70/71mm scope as an option.

If you image from around the flats then no way to cut down on the carrying, if you image from elsewhere and drive there then get a bag/case and leave the weights in that in the car. Buy some cheap bungee cords to stop the bag moving round. At least it would mean not carrying the weights.

Thanks Ronin. I don't know the Williams 72as pretty much a real novice this end but the idea of leaving the weights in the car is so embarrassingly obvious i didn't think of that ! Thanks !

I'll be putting my Canon camera in the eyepiece I expect.

"If AP is the way then you need an EQ5 at the very least, even that may be too light." kind of lost here, I know what AP is though....

Archived