CPC 1100 for Astrophotography.... with Hyperstar?

I've been giving some serious consideraton to splashing out on a Celestron CPC 1100 XLT. My preference at the moment is more visual observing of planets and moon but I also want to start getting some better views of DSO's and feel the 11inch apeture will give me this. At the moment I'm using a 127 mal and it just isn't cutting it. I would however also like to get into some astrophogtraphy at some point and have read that the Hyperstar is good for this with SCT's. I've just set up an observatory in the back garden (plastic shed) so l may end up putting the IT'S on a pillar a HD wedge. But ddoes anyone have any experience of using a CPC for a/p? Or particularly with a Hyperstar lens?

I have an 1100 HD - don't forget that in the standard configuration the focal length is very long so it's a slow scope and you won't see as big a field of view as an 11" f/5 newt (or dob).

AP at the standard focal length is pretty challenging and I think most would say you'd be better of with an equitorial mount.

With a hyperstar the scope becomes a fast Schmidt camera - but I am afraid I have no experience of using it in this configuration... The hyperstar is obviously pretty expensive and I hear that it needs to be very carefully collimated.

Archived