First DSLR prime focus moon images

prasadka

Hello

I eventually garnered the courage to attach my DSLR to the scope. As much as I had thought, it proved to be a tough ask, as I could see the vibrations, clearly. Got the moon to focus using the focusser and after a couple of minutes, I took a few shots in quick succession, while keeping the moon in the frame using the slow mo knobs. The vibrations were evident, because, I still haven't learnt the art of balancing with my DSLR on. I was a bit apprehensive of moving the tube with my DSLR on. After tweaking the image a bit in fotoshop, I realised that the top right corner of the moon was out of focus, which I think is a depth of field issue.

Please do pass on your comments on the image.I will use them to try and improve with every outing.

F/5.6 1/250th of a second, prime focus, S2 pro @ISO 100

1414_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

You're off and running Prasad. A tip for what it is worth. It is very easy to rush things, simply because you can't wait to see the results of what you are doing. It's that very action that will contribute to quick disappointment. Your image in fact is not too bad, you have a fairly good contrasty moon, and although the focus is a bit soft, it is not far off. I am trying to figure the pale ring around the top edge. It looks as if the moon has an atmosphere, which of course it hasn't. If you are having balancing problems, then you must cure it before you attempt any imaging. You must also take all the time you need to perfect the focus. I am sure you know what is required without me giving what sounds like a lecture. Try to get your system well balanced, and as stable as you can. The great thing about a DSLR, is you can take pictures one at a time., experimenting with focus, until you get it spot on. And, don't forget the seeing plays a huge role too, if the moon is boiling up, it is a waste of time trying to get a good shot of it.

You have made a decent start Prasad, and you have to build on it.

Best Wishes.

Ron. ;)

That's a very good first image of the moon with a DSLR - well done !

The image is very slightly out of focus away from the terminator, but it always looks 'softer' anyway.

It's not a depth of field issue by the way - if it's in focus on the terminator it should be in focus on the rest of the moon. How is the DSLR connected to the scope, perhaps the connection is not square to the telescope tube ? This could account for the slight softness.

What scope and mount are you using?. Are you using a cable release to stop vibrations. You shouldn't use the slow motion whilst you are trying to capture an image. Set your camera (Fuji is it? ) to repeat shots and take several at once. At the focal ratio you appear to be using the moon won't move much over the course of a couple of seconds. If it does Registax will still align them for you.

Keep up the good work - you're getting there!

8)

MD

Hi

Thanks for the tips. I clearly had problems balancing the scope. I was a bit scared to keep the DSLR on and slide the OTA up and down within the rings. The balance was alright on the other axis. I could clearly feel the vibration while using the slow mo knobs.Will probably try it out next time.

Also, while focussing, I had to use a chair to look through the view finder of the DSLR.

Anyway,next time, it will be with Chris's(Peonic) webcam.

Cheers,

Prasad

The image is very slightly out of focus away from the terminator, but it always looks 'softer' anyway.

It's not a depth of field issue by the way - if it's in focus on the terminator it should be in focus on the rest of the moon. How is the DSLR connected to the scope, perhaps the connection is not square to the telescope tube ? This could account for the slight softness.

Ah I thought otherwise. I was trying to get the craters in focus. I will try this out next time.

What scope and mount are you using?. Are you using a cable release to stop vibrations.

C8N on a CG5. I used cable release. But my camera does not have mirror lockup

You shouldn't use the slow motion whilst you are trying to capture an image. Set your camera (Fuji is it? ) to repeat shots and take several at once. At the focal ratio you appear to be using the moon won't move much over the course of a couple of seconds. If it does Registax will still align them for you.

Slo mo knobs were not use slow mo knobs while takinng the shots. It was done in between to keep the moonie centred.

Did try multiple shots. I will stack more in registax and see if i can get things to improve a bit more ;)

Regards,

Prasad

Archived