NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moon with binoculars

gooseholla

Well, whoever thinks that astronomy needs large telescopes, here is proof that it doesn't! True, I have a 12 inch reflector, lots of eyepieces, etc. But you cannot neglect a bit of binocular astronomy (There is just something about seeing the moon framed amongst trees, clouds, and houses which a small, zoomed in view through a telescope cannot convey!)

Took cheapish 7 x 32 and 8 - 16x40 binoculars out tonight and looked at the moon. There are such a vast number of features that people can see, even in a 20 minute space of time. Here is just a summary of things that I saw sitting outside, comfortably in a chair, spending a few minutes just looking at the moon.

1. Tycho and its rays - these are a spectacular sight, and begin to show more as the sun sets and the moon appears brighter. You can see a very rough cratered area below Tycho, and a ray which seems to split the seas of Nubium and Humorum. Other rays are visible. In fact, the whole lower region of the moon comes alive through binoculars, and isn't flat and white, but shows gradients of colour and craters near the lower limb of the moon.

2. Kepler and Copernicus looking like eyes in a skull. That's right! Two bright craters appearing in the Oceanus Procellarum when joined with the Mare Imbrium and Mares Nubium and Humorum make the left hand side of the moon like a skull, or, what came to my mind, the scream face/mask.

3. Langrenus looking like a huge patch cut out of Mare Foecunditatis. On the right hand side of the moon's 'disk', sits Mare Foecunditatis which has a large crater called Langrenus appearing as a brilliant white patch, making it look like the sea has had a part cut out of it, or eaten!

4. Aristarchus. The brightest crater on the moon seen near the terminator, shining like a brilliant light in the dark. An amazing sight to behold amongst the dark patches in that area of the moon.

These are just a few highlights from a 20 minute session through binoculars. Much more was seen and recorded: I have about 15 features, or observations regarding colour, texture, etc. The moon is not a boring place, and is a perfect object to start observing with. A cheap pair of binoculars are all that are needed (Tasco Zip!).

What helps is a good outline map with features named - but not too many for each day of the moon. Also, a picture of what the moon looks like in reality is good. This is why I like the moon maps in James Muirden's "Astronomy with a small telescope". Each day builds and shows an outline with prominent features, but adds new ones each day, getting rid of older ones so that the view doesn't become cluttered. It also has a photo of the moon so that you can compare and test yourself. It really helps. A description of each feature appears between the days of the moon's phases. Just one of many useful moon maps - Patrick Moore's are good aswell in the "Atlas of the Universe" or "guide to the stars and planets."

So for anyone thinking of starting astronomy - you don't need detailed knowledge, dark sites, or expensive equipment! You can start with just binoculars, a cheap map, and a comfy chair! The views are just as impressive as features on Jupiter or Mars, in my opinion.

For us who have been observing for ages and have all the fancy gear, let us not neglect the moon! It might be seen as dead, but it has the ability to inspire and to enliven ones' self.

Took out a small telescope - 4.33" inch modified cassegrain with two eyepieces, giving 51x and 69x zoom. The detail visible is amazing. A simple tripod costing £15 was sufficient for such a small scope. But there was a lifetime of astronomy and viewing in just one hour at these two powers.

Astronomy isn't complex or expensive!

Archived