Couple of Quick Questions (Sorry if stupid ones)

Hi,

Sorry if I am asking stupid questions I just started in the hobby last week :)

I just picked up a pair of 15x70's Helios Quantum 4's (From the great guys at rotherwell valley optics) after researching here and other sites.

Whilst quite heavy I can use them for about 15-20min then have to put them on the manfrotto tripod i have for camera work they seem to be excellent bins both for star gazing and day time work. The family enjoyed seeing the 4 moons of jupiter the other night :).

Here in Bracknell the light pollution level by my estimate is 5-6 in stellarium (Verified last night by looking at Vega and Altair and the time they appeared in the sky/stellarium) on our local estate.

Last night I focussed in on Tarazed in the Aquila constellation on my tripod mount system (it was easy on my neck) as I was fascinated by the golden/yellow colour I believe I saw HIP 97414 (Mag 7.50), HIP 97306 (Mag 8.00), HIP 97162 (Mag 7.20) and I think HIP 97162 A (8.40 Mag) all around Tarazed

Now my questions:

1)Was I being over optimistic thinkig I could see an Mag 8/8.4 in the bins in these kind of conditions? I did choose the bins to counter the light pollution and take in more light.

2)Whilst the mount i have for the manfrotto (460MG 3 Way) is great for still photography it is a pain to use with the bins, I would like a pan/tilt/lock system, could anyone recommend anything for a manfrotto tripod?

Once i get my feet under the table to speak I'll start looking for the messiers (Well the ones with Binos anyhow) still star hopping from vega to altair to deneb to learn the sky map for the next couple of weeks/months I think.

Dave

Not stupid questions at all - you are starting out and will need to ask all sorts of questions - that's one of the benefits of the forum.

Your Bins should be able to see mag 8 stars or more - especially on good nights that are very clear. The light pollution will of course have some effect in washing out fainter objects. Sorry I can't help with the tripod question as i am unfamiliar with that type.

Archived