NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Need some advice on my scope please

Hi guys need one more bit of advice from you, thats if you can help.

Ok here we go, Last September, 22nd to be precise , my wife bought me the Celestron Nexstar 4SE for Christmas, so it was boxed away for a few months, then because the weathure has been rather dull never used it much, but when I did the scopes motors from time to time went hay wire, the scope rotated right round , rotating upwards towards the sky rght round to the grond and back up again, jaming my eyepieces, on other occations i would point in a totaly oppoite direction, meaning when I asked the scope not literally but to point to the moon, the moon t the time was facing my back, but the scope just stopped at my zenith, pointed straght up, I did ring the supplier about this because it happened on more than one occation, I took their advice and did as I was told , even rewseting the scope to factory settings, but nothing worked, I sent the scope back and I got a call yesterday from the supplier saying their is a problem with the either the motor or the handset and it needed to go back to the company, today I rang up asking for an exchange for another scope as I was not happy with the Nexstar, I got a call from the manager of the shop and he said that he has examined the scope and found no fault but he was going to send it back so that an engineer can look at it, I questioned him saying that already got a call yesterday about the scope and I was told that their is a fault, but he said he shoulkd not have said that, I said look I am not happy with the poformance of the scope and which to exchange it for an alternative scope, but he was saying because he could not find a fault it needed to go away to be examined and if it came back faulty he would do the exchange, but because I said that I have already been told it was faulty yesterday he started to get funny , am I in my rights to ask for an exchangeunder these sircumstances or do I have to wait until they get an engineer report.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks again

Regards

Ronnie

Its a shame the garantee does not exstend for telescopes as they are never used like all other apliances, scopes only get used when the sky is clear, I have no idea if they used the new firmware. It just gets frustrating when you get told its faulty by one person and then get told thats it ok by another, I paid for a new scope and I think its fair to say that is what I should have got in return, I suspect the scope was faulty from day one, but because it was left until Christmas to be used and then for months having to ring the shop up constantly about the fault. Put it this way, I should have been given a scope which should have been in perfect condition and to ask for an exchange under the circumstances of the fault reoccuring, is not much to ask.

I understand what you are saying about not having used the telescope very much. However, it should still work as advertised. Here’s what I would do. Let the shop you bought it from repair it. Instead of allowing them to return it you should insist on going in so that they can demonstrate to your satisfaction that all is well. Someone has already pointed out that because the telescope is almost a year old it is unlikely that you will be offered an exchange. But if you get it back and all is well then you won’t really be bothered about that because you will be too busy enjoying your telescope.

Going off at a slight tangent. I have lost count of the number of posts I have read on this forum where dealers are placed on a pedestal simply because they managed to put an item in a box and then have a courier come and collect it. Well, this may be news to a lot of people but any old Harry could do that. It’s when things like this happen that the good dealers stand up. So, insist on the telescope being repaired and then let the dealer demonstrate that it is working perfectly. If the telescope cannot be repaired then I’m sure you will be offered a new one, or your money back. It’s that simple. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Cleetus

Archived