First time astrophotography

Hi folks,

Spent an hour giving myself what seemed like a cataract last night, staring at the moon - it's actually the first chance I've had since I got my scope, even though I've seen lots more distant and dimmer objects. I took out my iPhone and my camera, which isn't a DSLR but it a very good compact with all the bells and whistles. Below are my first ever astro-photographs, both of which were taken with the phone, which seemed to do a better job than my camera to be honest! I'll try and post-process some of the camera shots later to see what I can get, but would love some feedback and advice on taking shots with iPhones/Cameras and the Heritage 130P (which isn't really designed for this I know).

The camera is an Olympus XZ-1 so doesn't have interchangeable lenses so I might be limited to holding it to the eyepiece too.

Moon

Moon

Thanks

Thats great. Better than the first (only) shots ive done with a Canon camera. I couldnt get mine to focus properly at all. All i got was a picture of the inside of my scope.

I too went blind in one eye when first looking at the Moon. But last night looking at the Moon I used a polorising filter, which dimmed it enough. I also did the viewing the lazy way - the Moon was at such an angle that I could sit in my lounge on the sofa and use the scope looking through the open window, listening to the radio.

Armchair astronomy !

Archived