Skywatcher 200p dob and the EQ5 mount

Hi all,

I decided on purchasing the 200p dob as my first scope, but before i make a purchase is there any advantage to buying it with the EQ5 mount?? there is one for sale on ebay at the moment in as new condition and some extras, any advice would be appreciated. Also does it mean that i could add a GOTO type motor and finder with the EQ5 mount???? if so which one, im at a bit of a loss here......

Here is the ebay link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330782746240?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1431.l2649

thanks guys n gals

danny

the e/q mount would make tracking easier as the mount is set up to coincide with the angle of celestial movement,where as a dob mount needs nudging up/down /left /right manually. i believe you can at tracking motors ect. that is a good bit of kit . would be about £400+ new and without the telrad . if the price was right id be tempted by the explorer, but depends on how high the bidding goes. i have the dob mounted 200 and i like it but nudging takes a little practice at the higher power magnification.

Yes it is upgradeable to either tracking motors and/or goto motors with handset. Tracking motors are around £100 and Goto upgrade around £300 (new prices) - personally I would sooner buy a full goto mount because it's more cost effective.

But that example looks quite nice at the current price (£270'ish) subject to inspection. If I were in the market and got it for that price I'd probably add an RA drive for tracking and elementary imaging. It appears to have a polar scope too. HTH :)

Archived