Viewing the galaxy

Hi all! I'm new here.

I recently moved to AZ from NC, and I know there are some pretty dark night skies out here.

I would really like to be able to view the galaxial cloud with my naked eye, and I'm certain I should be able to find places out here in the desert where this could be accomplished.

I've looked at dark sky maps (like http://www.jshine.net/astronomy/dark_sky/, among others), driven out to these places, and I saw a lot of stars, but no galaxial cloud. Disappointing.

Would there be anything any of you pros would suggest?

I'd also like to grab a shot with my camera. It's just a digital Canon, nothing fancy. I know generally to put the camera on a tripod, open the shutter for 10-15 seconds, etc.. but what settings would you suggest?

Any help would be wonderful. Thanks!

eo

Eo - Perhaps the reason you did not see our galaxy (the Milky Way) is the location you were at had "light pollution", where the sky is bright with sky glow from nearby towns or cities. Since you said you saw many stars, chances are you did see the MW but didn't realize it. It will look like a faint band of light reaching from the north to south horizon with patches of dark areas. If you go to the link below, the sky map will show its size and position in each month's edition, which can be printed out for free. Click on the "northern" edition. Each month a new map is offered with some naked eye, binocular and telescopic objects to look at along with learning the major constellations. Let us know how your next attempt went.

SKYMAPS

Mr Q,

Thanks!

In the past I have looked at light pollution maps and driven out to places where Phoenix's light pollution is minimal / non-existent.

When I do so I find myself in places so dark that I can't even see the horizon. The number of stars is much greater out there, too.

One time I was on a private beach in NC, and looking out over the ocean I could see the whole shebang, including all the colors of the Milky Way.

I was hoping to be able to see it again that clearly in the open desert.

When I do go out is there something I need to do to allow my eyes to adjust to the darkness? Should I stay out there a certain amount of time? Do I need to go out at around 2am rather than 11pm? I'm sure there are all kinds of factors that would make visibility better.

Do you have any thoughts on those questions?

Thanks!

eo

If you manage to find a really dark site, with minimal or no light pollution from the cities, the Milky Way should stand out like a sore thumb, as a bright ribbon across the sky, there are things to watch though, you will need to dark adapt your eyes for at least 30 minutes, if you have been driving a vehicle to your destination.You also need to take a red torch with you to help set up your camera equipment and make sure your interior car lights are switched off, as any glimpse of a white light will set your eyes back to square one. You can experiment with your exposures with various ISO settings, but keep your shutter speeds short to avoid star trialling. It could possibly help if you were to ask in the imaging section about exposure settings, as some of our imagers may be able to provide you with some ball park figures to work from :)

John.

Yup - your eyes need to be in total darkness for around 30 mins to get adapted properly. This ensures your eyes "rod" receptor cells kick in for black/white viewing. Any glimpse of white light will fire the "cone" receptors cells which interpret colour signals. A full moon won't help either - so choose a new moon night.

The Milky Way extends right across the sky through Cass around the middle of it. Check in Stellarium for the current orientation so you know wich way to look either side of Cass and how it's shaped. Use binocs on Cass and you'll see a whole mass of stars and dust.

Hope that helps :)

Archived