Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telescope advice?

When I was young, I remember buying myself a small cheap refractor telescope and looking at the moon, the rings of saturn, jupiter and even the orion nebula. I'm contemplating buying a telescope just to look at these objects again, as well an allowing my son to get to grips with the fact we're really just on a lump of rock rushing/spinning through space...

Although I suspect the telescope wouldn't be used much, I'm willing to buy one to periodically view the night sky. So, I'm hoping for some advice from any astronomers here on a few questions?

Light polution

Where I lived when I was a kid it was in a fairly lit up area (near a main road and not far from a motorway/town - a mile or less), but none-the-less, in our back garden I could see Jupiter fairly well etc. Where I now live, there's probably slightly less light pollution, so I would hope to see the bands across Jupiter, its moons, and a fairly well defined smudge for the Orion nebula for example. Is that expecting too much? Will I be able to see that sort of detail from peoples experience with a low end (£150) telescope?

Is there any sort of simple rule of thumb for this? eg: If you can see X with the naked eye, then generally you're wasting your time with a telescope! I'd obviously hate to get a unit and find that nearby lighting means it can't be used.

Portable & size

About 5 mins walk from my house are nice quiet fields. And it would be nice if the telescope could be walked and setup very easily there. When not in use I'd like to tuck the telescope away in the corner of a cupboard for example. So portability/size are quite important.

Keeping in view and motors

I recall when I was a kid, on high magnification chasing Jupiter across my field of view... I assume these days with a modern telescope you just turn a dial to rotate/move the telescope in the equatorial plane to follow objects across the sky easily?

And I assume those telescopes with motors, they just do this movement for you? ie: Turn the dial at a slow constant rate?

Photography

I might be interested in attaching my Nikon D90 SLR and taking some photos. I understand there's a couple of issues regarding how to attach/mount a camera to a telescope (eg: requiring a T-adapter & barlow?) but wonder if this would also mean a motor might be required?

Would I be right in saying with a camera you can take numerous photos (eg: 20 photos each a few seconds apart?) and then using an application (stracker) you can process them into a single more accurate/detailed photo? eg: Photographing Jupiter? I understand cheaper mounts/motors aren't good for long exposures, but would they be OK for say 20 x 5 second exposures with an DSLR which were then stacked? Or doesn't it work that way?

Goto

Out of interest, I know some telescopes have "goto" computer control. Is this worth worrying about for the extra money?

Model

Assuming I will be able to see enough objects well enough to justify a puchase, I'd be happy to spend upto about £300 as I suspect the item will be used for many years (periodically)...

Any suggestions for something fitting the above requirements? eg:-

Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145P - 114mm - Approx £125

Celestron AstroMaster 130EQ-MD - 130mm motorised - Approx £150 (Although I've read some possible negatives about the tripod)

Skywatcher Skymax 127 - 127mm motorised - Approx £220

The above models seem to have the Goto option for say about another £100......and remember attaching an SLR and portability would be nice if possible?

I understand there are a whole number of questions/issues, so thanks in advance for any advice/help or personal experience(s).

Hi there,

I recently bought a second hand Celestron Nexstar 130SLT for £250 (they usually retail at around £360) and I also purchased a universal camera mount that allows you to connect any digital camera to the eyepiece. If you have a Nikon SLR then you can purchase T-rings for cheap enough and a Barlow.

The telescope mount is computerised and once set up and aligned correctly (this can be done by the telescope automatically through it's computer database), you can search for any object from planets, stars, nebula and galaxies plus more at the touch of a button and the computerised mount will track the object of your choice :)

I was viewing the Andromeda galaxy last night but due to the light pollution here it was appearing quite blurry - i havent had a chance to view any planets as of yet as I only got the telescope a month or so back.

It's my first telescope though so I couldnt give any advice any any other models really but i'm sure there are loads of people that would be willing to help out :)

Happy stargazing :D

Graham

To answer the light pollution bit. A telescope is never a waste of time. There is a youtube video showing that the brighter stars are really obvious in daylight if you know where to point the scope. As Jupiter is brighter than any star, you certainly don't need to worry if that planet is you main quarry. Plenty of people observe from the centre of London. It's the really faint objects you will struggle with, the more light pollution you have. So, bands on Jupiter and a reasonably well defined Orion Nebula with a £150 telescope. Absolutely. Enjoy your purchase, whichever you decide on.

Archived