Astrophotography with a CPC1100

Hi guys,

i thought I'd post this question here instead of in the Astrolounge as i'll essentially be a beginner if I do decide to start doing astrophotography.

Sooooooooo, my question is simple. I have a CPC1100 that I currently use just visually, but if I decided to start imaging with it, what accessories do people on here recommend to get the job done efficiently? (That includes attachments, camera, wedge, software etc).

Any suggestions from the clever fellows on here? :)

Many thanks

Chris

I think you will find the CPC1100 might be a bit slow being a F10 this makes for longer exposure times, you will also need a wedge for tracking, there's probably a focal reducers that will help with the F10 reducing it a bit, so we best wait for a expert to come along and say exactly whats required ect...

If you already have a DSLR lying around at home I would start off by using that. Most people on here seem to be using Canons, but I bought an old Nikon for almost nothing just to learn and get started. To connect the DSLR to your telescope you need a T-adapter and a T-ring. The T-adapter is specific for your scope, and the T-ring is specific for the camera that you use.

When you have all that sorted you are ready to start shooting :) (edit: but as Tinker1947 points out, you will need tracking with a wedge for longer exposures)

A tip for focusing (which might be difficult when using a DSLR) is using a bahtinov mask, I made one out of thick paper, but if you don't like DIY the you might want to buy one of these as well.

As for software you might want to look into the freeware DeepSkyStacker(DSS).

And finally a great book that will help you alot: Making every photon count by Steve Richards

My next camera will probably be a Canon EOS 1100d which I think is reasonably priced. It has gotten good reviews from several astrophoto sites. Some people modify their DSLRs by removing the IR/UV-filter but thats not mandatory :)

Archived