Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First light with dob mods

First night out for months and I have done a few mods since i was last out,I only went out to see the iss but ended up getting the scope out to test my setting circle and Wixey . Didn't set it up on my levelling base as it was just a quick test . . . Hopefully that will be for tonight. I sat the dob down and guessed at 0 degrees - daft thing to do as I found nothing , so lined up a star and set my setting circle marker accordingly , this with the Wixey was amazingly accurate , I had never found andromeda before and within seconds of checking stellarium I had it in view , I had to adjust the scope slightly left/right and up/down but I was very close to it. I tried a couple of other Messiers and located them with ease. I do prefer to learn the skies and find these myself but when the skies aren't perfect or for looking at the zenith these are well worth having. With the lazy Susan bearing I didn't overshoot any target , it made viewing much more pleasurable . I also got a RACI finder but the jury's still out on this , couldn't really tell where I was looking at , will persevere to see if I get better and it maybe better alongside a red dot finder . looking forward to winter , I forgot how excited I get at doing this.

Archived