Canon .cr2 or .fit - quick question

Hi all,

Playing with Nebulosity demo (using a Mac) with my Canon .cr2 files. Nebulosity seems to like using fits (works with cr2). My question is, should i convert my cr2 files to fits or does it not really matter?

Thanks,

Durante

Personally, I capture .cr2 with EOS Utility. That way I can preview the images easily using Canon's software which automatically debayers and stretches. When I go to process the images, Nebulosity automatically converts the images to .fit when calibrating them.

Jacob

FITS are generally for CCD cameras and CR2 files are usually RAW files produced by Canon cameras.

I don't think it really matters but the conversion will add another process step to your imaging and isn't necessary if the app happily accepts the native format from your device - in this case Canon CR2.

Save the stacked and calibrated output to a .TIFF and import into your art package to finish off the processing :)

Archived