Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Polar Alignment Celestron 130EQ

I'm looking for some help. I understand the reason that I need to polar align my scope, but I'm really confused over how to go about it.

I've read the manual (not my first point of call being a bloke) and I've read Celestron's FAQ's.

I get confused easily so am looking for a really basic idiots guide.

Also, the same idiots guide to aligning the red dot would be very much appreciated too.

Many thanks.

For polar alignment:

Level tripod..(spirit level,bubble,etc)

point mount North using compass

set the altitude dial to around 52degrees(uk)..(this tilts the mount)

rotate the DEC part of the mount to 90 degrees

line up the aligned red dot to polaris..(polestar)

check that its centered in the eyepiece.

without moving the tripod rotate the AZ(left/right)part of the mount ,to center polaris.

use the DEC/ to further help....its a combination of your adjustments that results in a level tripod...the scope pointing north...polaris centered in the eyepiece...polaris is just off center so 89 degrees DEC would be spot on.if my height angle is not 52degrees when polaris is centered sometimes ill raise or lower the rear(south facing)tripod leg.

this is the start position.if using setting circles i rotate the R/A dial to 2h31 mins...(polaris coordinates.)

TO ALIGN RED DOT.

point the scope at an object..bright star at night or a distant object in day light and check the scopes eyepiece

center the object in the eyepiece(use the largest to begin with).

you now need to adjust the red dot sight (screws or dials) so the red dot is centered on the object that is centered in the telescopes eyepiece.When this matches pop in a smaller eyepiece and repeat to really get good alignment.what you want is to have the same view in the eyepiece and the red dot so you can swing the scope around and find something with the red dot,when you look in the scopes eyepiece it will be there.

hope that helps....good luck....

Archived