Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Have webcam, will image

cantab

This evening I was observing the Moon from indoors, as the view was obstructed in the garden. Got some nice views, Sinus Iridium very prominent on the terminator, then my thoughts turned to imaging. I tried to get a snapshot with my phone, but got only an overexposed blur, so then I thought to myself, my computer's in here, I have a webcam, people use webcams for planets, so why not try it?

I removed the lens from the webcam, separated the nosepiece of my .965" SR4 eyepiece from its lens assembly, and sellotaped the pair together, before opening the webcam device in VLC, pointing the scope on the moon, and inserting the cam. A bright image appeared in VLC, and a spot of trial and error got it somewhat focussed. A bit more trial and error got the recording starting. The image shaked like mad every time I so much as moved, never mind touched the scope, but eventually I managed to get a few seconds of stable video before the camera froze.

Attached is one frame, of the Copernicus area. It looks blurrier in the stills than on the video :(

I'm now wondering about giving Registax a try. I've only got a couple of dozen frames, do you think I'll be able to get any improvement with it?

post-17061-0-74041700-1343518011_thumb.p

Archived