Sun in white light, july 27

htj

Hi

Yes, another white light image. First for me though.

Single frame. Taken with canon 40D, Megrez 72, Baader sunfilter and a ND filter. Post-processing done in Bibble.

post-15890-0-01167300-1343426303_thumb.j

Had a lot of trouble focussing. The LCD screen is pretty must useless in strong sunlight, and the viewfinder just isn't that good.

I'd like to get a bit more surface texture, but don't really want to shell out the money for a dedicated h-alpha or calcium-k scope. Does anyone have experience with the baader continuum filter?

Had a lot of trouble focussing. The LCD screen is pretty must useless in strong sunlight, and the viewfinder just isn't that good.

I'd like to get a bit more surface texture, but don't really want to shell out the money for a dedicated h-alpha or calcium-k scope. Does anyone have experience with the baader continuum filter?

Try getting a towel, particularly large and drape it over your head and camera. This blocks out sunlight and lets your eyes see the LCD screen.

I also am wondering about the Solar Continuum Filter so I would like some info on that too.

Clear skies and great observing/imaging, Josh

Doesn't look much but this work really well if I do say so myself...

http://www.astronomyshed.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=10037

As for the filters , I use an O III for my solar stuff , not sure how they compare pricewise though but I do get a bit more surface detail with it .

Not used the Baader Cont so can't comment on that.

Steve.

Hi, thanks for the comments.

Exposure was 1/200 with ISO 100. I had to put a neutral density filter (Naader ND 0.9) in there, otherwise everything would just get overexposed.

Steve: Thanks for the link. I might consider an O III filter. (I can't see the astonomyshed link).

Josh: The towel thing sounds simple and useful (though it may look silly). I'll try it out next time.

Have a read of this: http://www.schursast...ararticle3.html before you start spending money on filters - It should help you make a good choice.

That is a great site!! Explains why specific filters enhance detail and what filters to use with the Baader Continuum Filter. I know I'll definitely buy the Baader IR/UV filter with the Continuum filter. The pictures are also great and conclusively show you the level of detail you can achieve with the proper equipment.

Archived