Polarscope - Too Light / Too Dark

I am up the rapid learning curve of a Starwatcher 127 Mak in an EQ3 Pro Syncscan and am doing reasonably well with all the basics, 3 star align etc and seen some pretty good objects.

My current problem is using the Polarscope for Manual alignment. Either I can see the graticule etching but not Polaris because the sky is still light or I can see Polaris but the Graticule is invisible in the dark!

Is this a common newbie's complaint and do I just need to get used to seeing dark things in the dark or does the polar scope on the EQ3 leave a little to be desired (I have aligned it with the mount in daylight on a remote object and it is well focussed). It seems to me a dim illumination on the reticule would be the answer. Is that what the better polarscopes use?

Thoroughly enjoying the hobby which is made 100 times better and easier through constantly searching this lounge.

David

Skywatcher Mak 127, Auxonne, France

You can buy polar scope illuminators but i just use a torch with a red plastic cover. If you hold the torch near the polarscope "exit" hole you can position it so you can see the reticule and still see Polaris. As with all these things you need to be a bit of a contortionist to start with! By the way don't point the torch directly down the polarscope - just allow light to reflect down the hole. Much more difficult to explain than to do!

Archived