Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Energiser Glow Stick (Red Torch)

pvaz

Hello all.

I been having a kind of hate experience with most of the torches I used so far. I have a nice one from Orion US but it works much as a spotlight, that means it's hard to hold it at a distance along with pocket sky atlas, a pen and a pad for notes. I often hold it between my teeth, so I can have a little freedom with my hands, but that's not very confortable.

I had a very nice small one, it had a magnet and I attached it under the focuser, but it was cheaply made and one drop broke it in peaces.

A couple of days ago I found one of this on a local store:

http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B003YHH41Y

It haves a standard 1 led light and a glow stick that lights up in red (they also have a much brighter blue and green model so, if you do get one, make sure you get the red model). This produces an even red light, it's easy to put it down on the top of the atlas page and it will light the map without ruining your dark adaptation. It's also the cheapest product of this type that I tried and it's the one that's better suited for the job.

After using it again tonight I find it's a tad too bright, at least for a moonless night under mag 6 skies. I used it hanging from my neck and it works hands free as well, I'll put some tape over part of the glow stick to dim it a bit.

I tried a head torch before, but when I wrote down notes I used to bump it against the EP sometimes. A couple of those times, I bumped it against the Ethos 21mm luckly without any damage. I could always remember not to get my head that close to the EP but I usually get distracted, so I quit the head torch idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived