Just Got an ETX90RA but what mount?

Just pickup an etx90ra as a first scope, which is optically very nice and works ok, the stock fork type mounting seems rubbish and if i just tap the scope it wobbles like mad, so what i wa s thinking as i dont mind modding anything, can i take the scope itself and place it onto a much stronger mount, if so any recommendations? for under £300, i'm not worried about goto or anything but tracking would be nice thanks,

First the RA is not a Goto.

All it will do is track and to get the object in view you have to manually point it at whatever.

Someone has been asking about a biger version of a Meade that is similar.

Not sure why the fork mount is bad, I have 3 and I know people with these and the fork is pretty solid. If you mean the whole assembly shakes then that is different - what mount is it on?

Without taking the scope apar you would need a wedge, then mount the scope on the wedge, align it to the axis, release clutches, then manually locate an object and relock the clutches. The ETX should then track.

So a lot of manual bits and the cost of a wedge.

To put just the tube on another mount means deforking the OTA, getting tube rings, getting a dovetail, getting another mount and putting the whole lot together. Again a fair cost.

If you have the Meade tripod that should have been part of the scope you can set that up as a simple equitorial and then use the scope as I suspevt it was intended.

NORFOLKWEBDESIGN - I have a set of Meade tripod legs (from an LX200 I believe) I purchased from a fellow member a couple of years ago. They are about two inch diameter. I will upload a photo tomorrow as my image on the 'old SGL' site does not appear on this one. [ removed ]

NORFOLKWEBDESIGN - I have a set of Meade tripod legs (from an LX200 I believe) I purchased from a fellow member a couple of years ago. They are about two inch diameter. I will upload a photo tomorrow as my image on the 'old SGL' site does not appear on this one. [ removed ]

Hi thanks for the reply and please upload a pic

ScopesNSkies at Ely used to do tripods for ETX's, they were not expensive. I have no idea if they have one for the ETX-90 as they seemed to be selling them off cheap a couple of years ago. I have one for the 70.

The base can be angled and so operate as an equitorial, not greatly accurate but usable.

Also check out their Astroboot pages, you might find a Meade Tripod on there if lucky, or email them.

The reason I suggest this is that to take the ETX apart is really a one way trip. Then you have to get tube rings and a dovetail for the tube and after that the new mount and a set of motors.

You could get a Skywatcher 102 Mak on an Alt/Az goto for £315.

An EQ3 tripod is £175 and motors £80-100, so £260 with motors but not goto, and that is just the mount bit.

An Alt/Az goto mount alone is £225 which is another option

The cheapest option is to locate a Meade tripod (or the SnS alternative) and set that up with an angle of something like 52.5 degrees, sticjk the ETX-90 on that and use it as it was intended. Although not the best operating method these days.

Next I would say is wait and look out for a used EQ3-2 and get that add motors and take the ETX-90 apart. If you can get an EQ3-2 with motors or goto then better. If you buy a new mount and then a set of motors then really a new scope is possibly as viable as the complete set up is somewhat less then the sum of the parts.

Just realised that SnS tend to advetise their mounts under the other name of Pulsar Optical.

Also check out UK Astro Buy and Sell.

Archived