NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

first servo focuser

scoob-1979

i've been playing with the idea of putting together a stepper motor focuser for a few days now and managed to get few bits together out of my workshop, motor, gears etc when it dawned on me i could do the old servo to servo trick to do same job.

salvaged couple of servo's off old and broken RC car and did the wiring and hey presto electric focuser but without need for power. should get time tomorrow to figure out how to mount it and perhaps gear the focuser side down a bit more but proper chuffed.

anyone that doesn't know what i'm going on about i'll put build instructions up when completed.

I recently purchased some nice servo's for this purpose myself, not like the cheap horrid things I already owned with nylon gears. I am however still considering going electric and using a stepper motor from an old hard drive (I have plenty of those).

AT least with this method there's no batteries required.

I am doing exactly that now! I have loads of spare servos and receivers (slope soaring), just finished the focusing mechanics. I intend to control the focus from the study (about 30 meters away) in the house, just going over how to mount the HS645MG alongside the Moonlite CR1 focuser. I am also building a servo controlled focusing mask and black out cover so I can focus or do the darks all in comfort. :cool:

• 1 month later...

Archived