Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best dark site near Ottawa, Ontario

icrusoe

Hey guys, hoping for some of our canuck members to chime in on this one, I'm looking for good dark sites around the Ottawa area. My girlfriend and I made the trip out to the Diefenbunker in Carp (home of the RASC dark site). I called ahead to ask them to shut out all the lights in the parking lot and the buildings, but unfortunately the staff member who had access to the power box was absent that day. We went anyway and WOW, so many more views than my view from Nepean even with all the bright sodium bulbs in the parking lot.

My question is: anyone know of any great dark sites that may be even closer to Ottawa than Carp?

The US border with Canada is shown on these maps so you can figure out which areas are Ottawa and Montreal: http://www.inquinamentoluminoso.it/worldatlas/pages/fig2.htm There's also a Google Earth overlays which you can search for to make your job easier. The bad news is that the area immediately around Ottawa is pretty bad. The good news is that you don't have to travel all that far to get to some pretty black skies. Blue and better on those maps will knock your socks off. You're quite far north, though, so you might find that it won't get properly dark for another month or so.

Archived