OU Courses

Hi guys I wonder if some of you could give me some advice as to what course to look out for, I have read many books on astronomy, including a couple entitled the UNIVERSE, I want to start taking my hobby a little further, I have looked at the S10 Open University course but it looks a bit basic to me, what other course is available which is say the next one above the S10,

cheers

Ronnie

What is it that you are looking to do exactly ?

The OU was set up along university lines and what they do will lead to that objective ultimately.

I am not familiar with the unit you have given and it may be an introductory type course, as in equal to a GCSE or something. The OU will most likely have these courses to get you into the idea and practise of studying at home as a primary objective. How long is it ?

As you are in West Yorks that will rule out some of the offerings by some of the London universities.

Alernative are:

UCLAN - they do several units that are again intended as a part of a degree course. One problem is that they are all in effect a year long.

LJMU - part of the same group as UCLAN but thay offer what amounts to more but smaller duration units aiming at a certificate in astronomy. They appear to have changed the web page and I cannot see anything with details.

Will say that the OU course may look basic but it could easily ramp up once you get started. Their courses will also require a good knowledge of maths. Would suggest you actually consider ther course as it will be a taster for what they do and expect, also it will show you what you can expect to have to do.

I have done, just out of interest, S282 which includes Sun and stars, Galaxies and Cosmology and S283 which includes the Solar system and astrobiology. Whether these are suitable depends much on your background as they are second level courses. The OU do publish online information such as "Are you ready for S282" where prior knowledge and skill is spelt out. These courses are well presented and extremely interesting - in places quite mind boggling (especially the cosmology).

I didn't do these as part of any degree but just for interest. I also did the excellent practical course based on a week in Majorca but unfortunately that is no longer available.

Dave

I am looking for in to broadening my knowledge of the universe, I am a little to old to carry it on as a career move, but it would be great to have a few certificates in the field under my belt. At 46 and running a traditional sweet shop and looking after 6 children is enough,

For the OU it depends a bit on your background where you start. There is the S177 galaxies stars and planets course. This is a fairly basic entry course. There is one assessment - and you only need basic maths such as adding and multiplying. There is one piece of coursework. I haven't done this course, but I did a previous similar one at the same level - took me about 4 weeks in total! Its designed for almost anyone to do no matter their background.

Second level courses.

The S282course is brilliant - gives you an excellent overview of the whole of astronomy, from the sun, stars, galaxies to cosmology. All this without needing any calculus. You do need to know algebra and a bit of trig, and be comfortable rearranging equations and working with powers of ten, but most of it is explained. I'd recommend this as the perfect course for covering practically everything in astronomy in one go. 3 pieces of coursework to do, one computer marked assignment, and a 3 hour exam at the end.

The S283 course is more about planets and the search for life. There is a fair bit of geology in it, but much less maths that S282. I didn't find this as interesting as S282, but if your interested in the solar system then its excellent.

If you have reasonable maths skills in algebra you can start with either of these courses. There is a quiz to do if you're unsure, although I found that it erred a bit on the cautious side and you could do the course without needing to be able to answer everything.

Finally at level 2 there is a more practical course SXP288which includes an optional half week observing in Majorca, or if you want to stay at home using a robot telescope over the internet.

Third level courses

After that comes S382 on astrophysics, which DOES need calculus, and quite a few more mathematical tools. Alongside that is S383which is even more maths heavy as you explore relativity and other stuff. Don't go into these courses unless you know what you are doing!

S10 is If you’re fascinated by astronomy and planetary science, this certificate course provides a good basic introduction and equips you with the skills for further study. In the first module you’ll investigate the stars and their life cycles; galaxies and quasars; and the origin and evolution of the universe – and how it might continue to evolve in the future. In the second and final module, you’ll look at the exploration of the solar system by spacecraft; planetary processes such as volcanism and impacts; the structure of planets and their atmospheres; and asteroids, comets and meteorites. The Certificate in Astronomy and Planetary Science is endorsed by the Royal Astronomical Society. Made up of 60 credits

I have just spoken to OU regarding courses in astronomy, and because I have a qualification higher than the one I would like to apply for I cannot get any help, what a bummer :confused: , My highest level is a Foundation degree, but not in astronomy, but in Health and social care, as my previous employment was running my own care company, now I am unemployed I cannot afford the full fees, my wife runs a traditional sweet shop, but it does not bring enough to warrant the full cost, as we are on working tax credits to boost or income, I am more of taking up the woman's role sort of speak, looking after the young ones, does anyone know of any other route I can take which is similar to the Open University route, which provides some assistance with costs

Archived