HiTecAstro usb EQ direct adapter

Hello Everyone,

So the NEQ6 arrived yesterday and this morning the EQ DIR Adapter was delivered, silly question time as no instructions with it at all, Is there a video anywhere on how to set it up?

Does the serial lead on the EQ DIR plug into the serial cable which came with the mount and USB to laptop the other end? want to make sure before I plug this into the mount wouldnt want to cause damage to a brand new NEQ6 PCB.

A simple sheet with instructions would have been helpfull, cant beleive they think everyone knows how to use stuff that they havent used before.

Kev.

USB to laptop. The other lead 'looks' like a serial lead but it isn't - it plugs directly to the faceplate on the NEQ6.

Ah! so am I right in saying that the laptop connects to the mount via this but do I need to use the guiderport on the mount seperately via a bpusb or does this do everything?

I thought I'd research enough about this but I've fell at the first hurdle I'm so confused.

Kev

The NEQ6 supports both ST4 and 'pulse guiding'. Using EQDIR and EQMOD software to control the mount, you can then choose which mode of guiding you want to use. Pulse guiding has some advantages over ST4 but both work well on this mount. If you are going to bring PEC (Periodic Error Correction) into the equation then pulse guiding is your route as, via EQMOD, the two will work hand in hand.

Edited to add:- Pulse guiding does not require any further cabling as it is a software solution whereas ST4 does require a cable and PC interface.

Archived