NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First imaging setup - SW quattro and other Newt users especially

Hi am planning getting back into this now that i have a more suitable place to do it - storing it in the garage rather than dismantling it each time and carrying through my bedroom window onto the flatroof of our kitchen. I had a short stint in 2010 here's the thread http://stargazerslounge.com/showthread.php?t=107942 but things never really went further than that.

Anyway i still have the eq6 so am sorted for the mount, as for the telescope, which you can probably guess from the thread title i'm looking at the quattros, mainly the 10inch steel version. Now for anyone who has one do i need to get another counter weight i have the 10kg from the original weights and the ota is 15kg so it would make sense to. I was thinking about getting an extended cw shaft but it seems they're not available to buy separately (Only seen that at FLO mind, there maybe somewhere else) or a DIY option?

I intend to use it mainly for imaging and am looking at the QHY8L and QHY5V as an OAG and for planetry work. Interested in an OAG as i'd prefer to keep it as light as possible after choosing the steel version and i don't really need a small refractor, the QHY8L has a large enough field of view for most things anyway and i fancy printing the pics so the large image size is a plus. I also would like to ask anyone using a newtonian for imaging how often they find the equipment weight on the focuser twisting the tube. I remember thinking i wanted to avoid the newtonian design just for that reason but the price of them is too good to ignore. If it is a problem has anyone found a fix, i was thinking of counterbalancing the focuser with a modified tube ring with weights on it or something to that effect?

I think that's about it :( Thanks for any help anyone can give.

I never had a problem with twisting the tube on either a 250p or 150p, but I usually tighten the clamps well.

You've probably already thought this through, but can I ask why you are going with such a big scope for imaging? Have you considered the difficulties in setting it up?

Just asking because I had an EQ6 with a 250p and it really was a pain to setup by itself just for visual (the quattros will be slightly more compact).

The only real advantage of a 250mm over a 150mm for example, is you get 1.3deg FOV instead of 2deg. The 150 will just need a bit more cropping of the image to get the same FOV, but saves a lot of hassle and expense. Just my thoughts.

True you make a good point, been using http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.php?object=104 and the difference between the quattro10 and 150p is smaller than i'd thought. I don't mind the idea of the 200mm pds, same focal length as quattro 10 but f5 rather that f4 which'll mean exposures would have to be 1.6x longer to be equal? Also considerably lighter.

Whats the main hardware differences between the quattro and pds ranges like mirror quality - size of the secondary large enough for apsc sized sensor? (although i'm pretty sure i've seen dslr users with this scope) Also quality of focuser?

Thanks.

Archived