brightest star allingment synscan skywatcher 130p

hi all

on the brightest star allingment it asks you too (select region) north sky,north east,ect,i am in the leeds area? is that just north sky? sorry to sound a bit clueless! haha......When it the ask for the brightest star,if i download "star walk" on my iphone could i find out the star this way then point the scope to it?,i have a book,but as of yet i still do not have a clue around the night sky. sorry,i seem to have been messing about for,hours,days trying to do the setup and getting no where fast,keep reverting back to the manual,but at the moment,its not goin too well.

it says deneb,as the brightest star, 1.3,NE 32.6-16.8 SLEW SCOPE TO CENTRE OBJECT,how do i do this? what are the figures measurments of?......

Thanks all

Craig

The region of sky depends on the direction or directions you have from your location that give you the clearest view of the stars, it doesn't depend on where you live.

it says deneb,as the brightest star, 1.3,NE 32.6-16.8 SLEW SCOPE TO CENTRE OBJECT,how do i do this? what are the figures measurments of?......

Deneb - 1.3 (magnitude - how bright the star is)

NE - 32.6 degrees (compass direction -which direction the star is)

16.6 - degrees (altitude - how high the star is above the horizon)

Use the four direction keys on the handset to slew the mount so that it is pointing in that direction. Centre the star in the telescopes eyepiece and then press <enter>. The handset will now select another star, press <enter> and the mount will slew to that star. Centre the star again in the eyepiece and press <enter> again.

Peter

Oh,how daft do I feel,never realised it was the actual position of the sky,not the location where I was,sorry! I will go stand in the corner,that all makes a bit more sense to me now! Hopefully the sky will be clear tonight and I can have another go,I have down loaded star walk on my iphone so I should be able to recognise the stars I need to focus on,once again thank you so much for the advise.

Of course if you find Deneb is obscured.....

One of the greatest and cheapest astro-needs you can get is a Planisphere. That's a roughly dinner plate sized map of the night sky, with the Constellations and many stars named on it. It has a rotating part for what is seeable each month of the year. No batteries required, though you might need some light to look at it. :(

Archived