Stargazing in Torquay

Hi all

Ok so in the next week or too i will be getting my shiny new Skywatcher Heritage 130p

so im going on holiday in Torquay at the end of next month, can anyone recommend a nice place while im down there with my selected telescope.

I will be based in Torquay Holiday Park, Kingskerswell Road :(

Hi Relisys

The Torbay area is lit up like a NATO base so perhaps not the greatest viewing. But of you are prepared to travel just a little bit, lovely dark Dartmoor is about a 15 min drive away the other side of Newton Abbot, while Start Point in the South Hams is about 30-40 mins drive and has the boast of being South Devon's darkest place.

Saying that, no idea where you live now. If it's a big city, Torquay will seem pretty dark by comparison.

Enjoy your holiday!!

Hi Relisys

The Torbay area is lit up like a NATO base so perhaps not the greatest viewing. But of you are prepared to travel just a little bit, lovely dark Dartmoor is about a 15 min drive away the other side of Newton Abbot, while Start Point in the South Hams is about 30-40 mins drive and has the boast of being South Devon's darkest place.

Saying that, no idea where you live now. If it's a big city, Torquay will seem pretty dark by comparison.

Enjoy your holiday!!

Just out side of Birmingham, all though il see the difference when i get my dob, and thanks for the heads up i just might take a little trip to Dartmoor :(

Just a heads up to avoid disappointment - It's matte black with matte white writing & matte black trim- no shininess at all* :)

*truss tubes are a little bit shiny

lol didn't mean it literately. :)

Hi, we were at a campsite called Higher Rew on the land south west of Torquay on Saturday and the sky was fantasticly dark & so much was on view it was jaw dropping to me.

I can't compare it to being on Darrtmoor as not been there at night, but this place was south of Kingsbridge & a village called Marlborough.

We were scouting places to see Venus Transit on the 6th & I need to do calcs in distance to the horizon but Berry Head off Brixham looks like a possibility.

mm interesting when i do a search on Google earth light pollution map for Torquay TQ2 8JU, it comes up in the yellow greenish colour, so for me at the moment that's a more clear view then what i get when i do a search on were i live now.

I get a purple colour, now i can see some stars were i live Mars, ect so il have a look when i get my dob to see what will be the difference. i do have a communal back yard so not much direct street light but only the glow. do a search on 52.474611, -1.739838

Archived