Possibly the silliest question of the day

:)

;)

:D

Ok, here goes :D

I had a fantastic nights viewing on Wednesday night, seeing great images of Saturn and even more spell binding views of the ring nebula and M3, M13 etc.

When I cam to pack up I suddenly found that the star diagonal at the back of the optical tube that the eyepieces were screwed into had come slightly undone (absolutely no idea how), and as a result it had come out about an inch from where it should be screwed. I'm amazed it hadn't fallen out to be honest due to the amount of slewing around at all sorts of tricky angles the scope had been asked to do!

My question is whether with the sky diagonal coming lose and 'popping out' (so to speak), affected the quality and clarity of what I was viewing at all?

Like I say, a very silly question, and hopefully a tech-minded veteran on here may be able to give me a quick answer or tell me to stop being a nonce. :)

:)

(again)

Many thanks

Chris

As long as it was within the focus range of the focuser it would not have affected the viewing quality at all...... in fact sometimes, with newts for example, if there is not enough outward travel on the focuser then we just pull the EP out a bit to achieve focus it we dont have a extension tube.....

Its lucky though that it didn't fall out......

HTH,

Gary

Archived