Solar alignment sight construction.

Hey all.

I just finished my new solar alignment sight that I designed and built for safely aiming my 8" SCT for Solar viewing with a Baader Solar filter. If anyone would like the measurements to make their own, I'll be happy to post dimensions. I'm preparing for the transit on June 5th. (US, Chicago area) Really looking forward to it. I've already taken a look at the Sun through the filter and it works great.

Clear skies everyone... Here's the link to 9 pictures taken during construction of the sight.

http://gordongreene.com/photogallery/displayimage.php?album=77&pid=3023#top_display_media

Very nice - If you put a "cover" over the open end with a 2mm hole in it you will project a neat little image of the Sun - cross hairs on the "screen" and you will get easier alignment than just the tube shadow.

Very nice - If you put a "cover" over the open end with a 2mm hole in it you will project a neat little image of the Sun - cross hairs on the "screen" and you will get easier alignment than just the tube shadow.

I'll try the 2mm hole thing. I'm ahead of you on the cross hair thought. I aligned the scope and then put small dots where the tube shadow should be. Should make it easier next time. Thanks for the idea.

Archived