etx 90 pe LNT home position/altazimuth home position

hello,

i have recently bought this scope and had a little play around with it and the autostar controller, however when it comes to aligning the scope it asks to 'put the telescope in the LNT home position' or 'altazimuth home position'.

i understand you have to loosen the horizontal locks and rotate the scope anti clockwise until it stops, however i dont understand what is suppose to stop the scope doesnt stop it will just keep rotating?

many thanks

have same scope when the horizontal lock is loose turn anti clock wise till it hit's bump stop [the scope will not go further if the stop is working] then turn the scope clockwise till the mount point is in line with the control panel lock horizontal [mount with the degrees marked on it not the other one ] now there is two choices depending if you have LNT or just auto star ] if going for easy align lift scope and tripod and place the scope front so it is pointing north [approx is ok or use compass] and level scope tripod [spirit level ]then hit enter [will look for star avaiable to you , it will be the brightest in your finder scope use the arrows to center it press enter it will find second star again centre using arrows then hit enter again that should be it [LNT is slightly diffrent [polar aligns scope ]

LNT will set your scope up using magnetic field of the earth to work out where you are and will automatically level the tilt and scope .

you do same again loosen horz lock anti clockwise till it stops then lock it . move scope to roughly westt then align mode automatic it will go through a whole set of leveling .finding north /finding tilt will then goto polaris and ask you to centre [use arrows hit enter it may move to second star again centre in finder and enter]scope aligned do the best object tour [is the moon atm in glasgow] when it slews it my be off slightly use the spiral find [press goto and hold scope will do spiral search when you see the object press enter scope will stay and slew in line with object hit and hold enter the sync message will come up hold enter again object is synched and stay in view [mine's is accurate for 40-50 minutes

ps use 12 volt adaptor if you can ,the batteries can screw auto star up when they are a bit lflat and you tend to lose sync

have same scope when the horizontal lock is loose turn anti clock wise till it hit's bump stop [the scope will not go further if the stop is working] then turn the scope clockwise till the mount point is in line with the control panel lock horizontal [mount with the degrees marked on it not the other one ] now there is two choices depending if you have LNT or just auto star ] if going for easy align lift scope and tripod and place the scope front so it is pointing north [approx is ok or use compass] and level scope tripod [spirit level ]then hit enter [will look for star avaiable to you , it will be the brightest in your finder scope use the arrows to center it press enter it will find second star again centre using arrows then hit enter again that should be it [LNT is slightly diffrent [polar aligns scope ]

Thanks for your reply, i had guessed that the scope should come to a stop however the scope just keeps spinning?

mines goes a max of 720 degrees [about 2 turns ] and a definite stop [if it is second hand then it may be bust :( ]you could try with the horizontal in the easy set up but i imagine the scope may point in wrong direction , you would then need to move scope with the buttons til it finds the star its looking for [maybe need stellarium so that you know roughly what star its looking for and so will notice it with the finder] then do it for second star [your scope would be set up but the next time you move it the scope would need reset again . dont know if you can strip scope but i wouldn't like to try tat

mines goes a max of 720 degrees [about 2 turns ] and a definite stop [if it is second hand then it may be bust :( ]you could try with the horizontal in the easy set up but i imagine the scope may point in wrong direction , you would then need to move scope with the buttons til it finds the star its looking for [maybe need stellarium so that you know roughly what star its looking for and so will notice it with the finder] then do it for second star [your scope would be set up but the next time you move it the scope would need reset again . dont know if you can strip scope but i wouldn't like to try tat

Hmm i have bought the scope second hand and it deffinately doesnt come to a proper stop even after several rotations, im wondering how i can go about fixing this or taking it somewhere to repar it

Bit of a look around on Weasners Mighty ETX site found this...

I can spin the scope around continuously without any stops whatsoever.

Mike here: OK, it sounds like the hard stops are broken off. There are a couple of articles on "hard stop" repair on the Helpful Information: Telescope Tech Tips page.

This is from here

Hope that helps.

Jon

Archived