finder scope conversion

Does anyone know of a "doodad" you can buy that will convert a straight through finder scope to a RACI?

Standing at the scope with my head the wrong way up is pretty soon likely to end with a dizzy turn and me and the instrument in an expensive heap on the patio.

I know the answer really, it's "buy a RACI finder" isn't it?

M

Unfortunately no :(

The reason is that you would have to shorten the straight through finder tube to allow for the added light path length of the RA diagonal. While it is possibler to shorten the body on a lathe and adapt an RA diagonal to fit it's easier just to sell the straight through and buy an RA finder.

John

I thought as much really.

It's a pity S/W don't give you the option to "add on" or not the bits and bobs package when you first purchase.

How many sets of the bundled eyepieces are upgraded within a couple of months of using them and spend the rest of their lives at the back of a drawer. I suspect there is little s/h market for them or the finder even though it's a nice one. It just isn't that easy to look through at times.

M

There is a solution to the RA v Straight Through finder problem, but unfortunately not a cheap one. However I'm sure SkyWatcher could copy the concept.

Lumicon Super Finder

http://stargazerslounge.com/discussions-scopes-whole-setups/185683-lumicon-50mm-super-finder.html

And yes I wish they would let you have the option of choosing which finder or perhaps an upgraded focuser as well when you buy the scope although being mass produced it keeps the price down by not having any options.

John

Archived