Perseids Viewing in Southern California

Hey everyone, I could use some advice from people more knowledgeable than myself. I live in Los Angeles, and am planning to check out the Perseids meteor shower with some friends this year. I have never done anything like this, and am trying to plan all the details. The most important one is where to go. Based on limited research, it sounds like Mount Pinot is a good option, but I don't know if anything about that site is not good for the Perseids shower in particular. Anyone been there for that one? Which direction should we be looking at in the sky? Anyone recommend a better spot?

I'd also love to get some general advice if anyone has some. Our plan is likely to arrive at the site around 2:00 - 3:00 PM on Sunday, Aug 12, set up tents/chairs/etc., and hang out until around 2:00 AM to check out the show. Any other tips or considerations would be appreciated. Thanks!

+ 1 for stellarium, once you get it installed, and do the above with date, time and location, switch on constellation labels and look for the constellation Perseus. This is the point that the perseid meteors radiate from.

Persieds

Hope that helps :(

Jon

Archived