is this mars with the naked eye ?

hey all im new here and just need to ask this quick question..

below is a quick video i took with my iphone... it shows the moon and a small planet/star to the bottom right of it .

IMG 0151 - YouTube

my question: is this mars or a star ? and if so then what star or planet is it.

i live in australia ,nsw sydney and it is 6pm

Welcome to the forum Frisky :)

That's Venus below the moon. Mars will be further round to the North, higher up in the sky, and will look orange/red.

The moon will be moving closer to Mars over the next few days, and will be closest on 1st May.

Why not download stellarium, it's free, and that will enable you to enter your location and any time you choose and will show you what the sky looks like. That way you will always know what you are looking at. It's also a great tool for planning a nights observing. Setting up stellarium myself for Sydney and the time you gave I would hazard a guess that it's Venus.

Welcome to the forum Frisky :)

That's Venus below the moon. Mars will be further round to the North, higher up in the sky, and will look orange/red.

The moon will be moving closer to Mars over the next few days, and will be closest on 1st May.

And it is rather small, but it looks completly different to any thing up there :)

thanks guys, wow i never knew you could see venus that well with the naked eye...

and it being not red like mars is what had me confused.

also i have just downloaded stellarium and will give it a try .

thanks again all :)

Archived