Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best upgrade (from 130p AZgoto) modest budget?

I have a modest budget, (hoping not to sell my worthy 130p), so.. about £350-400 approx. all in.

My intent is to be able visually to better observe both solar system and the easier DSO's, and preferably retain portabilty and low cost by considering a dob mount reflector.

However, with my limited knowledge of the sky i would be missing the goto function a bit and also still be unable to do astrophotography which was a problem with my AZGoTo scope. I have trouble juggling the possibilties mentally which is why i posted this thread, in hopes someone can help me focus and get perspective on the matter.

I want larger aperture but not sure what to compromise on - synscan and ability to locate objects- or EQ mount and better astro-photo potetnial - or neither and get fullest aperture possible on a simple dob mount.

On SGL these -which scope?- threads are v common, I hope to avoid the fine line between seeking advice and annoying people :) so i will leave it at that and see what happens.

As always the helpfull advice found here on SGL has been consistently high in standards and much appreciated,

Many thanks,

Aenima

PS how dependent on a flat surface is the dob mount? My obs point has sloping ground in places.

A ny ideas, folks? I just want some input on the trade off between basic dob set-ups for aperture vs something more compact but smaller on a eq mount. Are autotrak motors usable to image objects? Do dobs only work on very flat surfaces? Is eq worth getting as a basic mount to use tracking just for taking photographs? Sorry many questions, hadn't planned to upgrade but lucky enough to be loaned some dollar.

Anyone able to help?

Appreciated,

Aenima

?

Archived